Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Sound problems

le lun 11-03-2002 à 23:49, pogosyan cita utoronto ca a écrit :
> I want to add my problem to the sound discussion.
>
> I have Logitech 3000 Pro camera with Philips drivers,
> use gnomemeeting 0.84.0, and was trying all oss, alsa-0.5.12 and
> 0.9 drivers.   Sound Hardware is C-Media PCI CMI8738 built in
> chip on Asus motherboard. Microphone is one on the camera
> (checked, works for recording).
>
> I try to connect with my friend running Netmeeting on his laptop.
> Both of us are on office T3 lines
> Video works fine, however sound does not. Namely
> I have the following experiences
>
> 1) At first, I was using OSS drivers.  On the connection
> G.711-uLaw-64k was negotiated.  My friend could hear me,
> but I was hearing only cracking sounds.

G.711 is a codec that requires lot of bandwidth. You should make your
friend install the MS-GSM codec. and move MS-GSM as first codec in your
codecs list (to give it the preference)

> 2) O'K, I thought, it is duplex problem, I'll use ALSA
> (does my chip supports duplex at all, what should this
>   "cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp" test produce ?).

You should hear yoursefl while you are talking without that this echo is
hardware activated. If you don't hear yourself, or if you hear yourself
with a huge delay, it is not full-duplex.
However, it should not be a problem, because you can use the microphone
of your webcam : simply choose /dev/dsp / /dev/mixer for playing and
/dev/dsp1 / /dev/mixer1 for recording. In that case, no need for
full-duplex.

> So I tried ALSA 0.5.12a and 0.9.12.  In the meantime
> my friend moved from Toronto to Paris, but with the
> same laptop.   Now with ALSA, we could not get any
> legible sound in any direction (I however did hear
> pieces of his words).

Seems to be a bandwidth problem. Are you trying to transmit 30 FPS with
a good quality? You should lower both of them.

> 3) With him in France I tried to restore OSS driver
> to get at least one directional sound, but now it did not
> work !
>
> 4) My friend seemed to have MS-GSM module, but we could not make
> a connection to use it (I tried to disable everything but this
> module). Maybe it was not exactly the module
> needed ...

If you disabled everything but MS-GSM and that it is not using it, then,
your friend obiously did not install that codec.

> I'd like to find out how could I check if Full duplex works with
> my card, and what else I should be thinking about.

You do not need full-duplex if you are using your webcam built-in
microphone (/dev/dsp1).