Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GnomeMeeting and NetMeeting

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Damien Sandras wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:47:45AM -0700, James K. Wiggs wrote:
> >
> > I switched it off.  Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?
> > I've been through all the FAQs and searched the mailing list archives,
> > and it appears that there must be plenty of people successfully using
> > this sort of setup, but I can't get it to work.
> >

> it is a firewall problem. We preconise the use of RSIP for linux boxes.
> Netmeeting uses random ports, we can't help for Netmeeting.

   I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I looked
up the web page on RSIP, and downloaded the source.  But your use of
the phrase "we can't help for Netmeeting" implies that there's nothing
to be done.  Does this mean that what I'm trying to do is simply not
possible?  I have to say I'll be astonished if that's true.

> For GnomeMeeting to GnomeMeeting, it should work if you forward
> TCP port 1720 on your firewall, and permit ports 5000-5003 for UDP.
> However, that is in an ideal world when H.245 Tunneling is enabled.
> However, Netmeeting doesn't support H.245 Tunneling, and the kernel module
> do not support H.245 Tunneling either.

   GnomeMeeting to GnomeMeeting is simply not an option at this time.
The guy with the NT box is running legacy applications that require him
to use NT, and he doesn't have a redundant box to load with Linux just
so he can run GnomeMeeting.  In the future (say, 3-6 months from now) I
may be able to get around that by loading Linux on his box and setting
up NT in a VMWare machine.  For now, it can't be done.

> It means that you need to open another "random" port on your firewall
> for the H.245 channel.
>
> That is why we don't recommend to use the H.323 module, but instead to use
> RSIP for linux machines.
>
> In theory, if you want to make GnomeMeeting (LAN) to GnomeMeeting (Internet)
> calls, just allow UDP 5000-5003 on your firewall and disable H.245 Tunneling
> in GnomeMeeting. It will work.
>
> For incoming calls, you have to allow all TCP ports > 1024.
>
> If you want to make GnomeMeeting (LAN) to Netmeeting (Internet) calls, just
> know that Netmeeting doesn't necessarily uses 5000-5003 UDP.
>

> I will soon post a mail indicating how to pass through firewalls using
> a gatekeeper or RSIP.

   I've downloaded and compiled opengk, and successfully installed it on
one of my boxes; if using this would solve the problem, that would be a
fine thing.  Many thanks!

> For netfilter questions, you can also mail the netfilter mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Damien

regards,
Jim Wiggs