Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM sound doesn't work

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 02:51:04PM +0100, Davide Giunchi wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm usign GM 0.12.2 on a Debian unstable, i've a microphone integrated in my
> notebook and i'm trying to make it work with GM.
> If i conntect to another GM or NM (with MS-GSM codec installed), on a LAN , i
> can see the connection time progress, but other users can't ear my voice.
> If i execute
> $ cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp
> on my notebook, i can ear my voice (after 5 seconds of delay, but i can ear
> it), so the mic is working.
> I've setup GM to use /dev/dsp device but it doesn't work.
> What can i do?

rm ~/.gnome/gnomemeeting
then restart GnomeMeeting, go in the devices section, check the audio devices,
and see if /dev/dsp is in the list. There was a bug in pwlib and some devices
were not detected.

cat /dev/dsp > /dev/dsp doesn't prove that it works in full duplex.
Especially if you hear your voice 5 seconds after, it means that
your soundcard is not able to record and play at the same time, so
it is recording and when the recording is finished, it can play
the recorded sound...

That is the proof that your sound card is half duplex and as the FAQ says;
GM needs full duplex.

so my advice is :
1) check that /dev/dsp is in the list after a rm
2) if it was in the list, I guess that you are not using ALSA and
that your driver is not full duplex (the 5 seconds delay proves it).
Install ALSA...