Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] I want my users advice

fre 2002-02-01 klockan 14.25 skrev Lauchlin Wilkinson:
> I Like the look of both...The first one is nice and compact wich is
> good..I love runing heaps of apps and big clumsy apps just clog up my
> screen...I think having the toolbars broken up and having both
> horizontal and vertical is a good use of space.

Please see my response to OverrideX.
Also, if Damien's proposal of replacing the connect/disconnect buttons
with a single one (that changes depending on the state) is implemented,
and the Preferences toolbar button is removed, only one additional
button would need to be added to the main toolbar.

> I think a lot of people
> get carried away with "ease of use" I doubt very much any one would have
> called a model-T-ford easy to use...

Are you familiar with cognitive science? Any interface that you
(unnecessarily) have to think about before using (or even worse have to
learn or re-learn) is a bad interface if it could have been made so that
you could just automatically use your past experience without thinking
about it.

> and even today people have to learn for months to drive a car...

What is your point? That because some things are hard to learn (how to
write, algebra, and driving a car), all things should be hard to learn
and require lots of adaption and re-learning?

> what is this obsession with everyone to make computers so dumb

Computers don't get dumber. And this has absolutely nothing to do with
"dumbing down". But if a horisontal toolbar instead of a vertical one
actually makes you feel dumber, I disgress.

> perhaps we should concentrate on making users
> smarter...has anyone ever thought of that?

Yes. The science about making things smarter (as in adapting them to how
we humans think, react, interact, and learn) is called "Usability".

Christian