Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] gnomemeeting enhancements: where to send?

ons 2002-12-11 klockan 15.52 skrev Damien Sandras:
> > Hi, I was quite rudely called back after submitting a gnomemeeting
> > enhancement proposal to the bugzilla with the enhancement flag set. The
> > person said I should send them here. Just to check, is this correct?
>
> Hello Robert,
>
> Actually I think that you can request enhancements on bugzilla, but we
> prefer to discuss those enhancements on the gnomemeeting-devel-list that
> has been created on this purpose and keep bugzilla for bugs.

In my opinion, it's useful to have both. Bugzilla is good for keeping
track of things but a bad place to have planning, a mailing list is a
good place to have planning but a bad place to track things. So only
having feature requests on the mailing list is probably bad as it isn't
easy to later find out what actually happened to it after the discussion
died -- was it implemented, will it be implemented at some point, or was
it decided it was a bad idea altogether and will never be implemented?

Thus, I suggest that both are used -- when a feature request appears on
the mailing list, make sure an entry for it is also in bugzilla, and
vice versa. Make sure that you put in a link to the bugzilla bug report
in the mailing list thread, and a link to the mailing list thread in the
bug report. Then continue to have the discussion on the mailing list.
Finally, when there is a consensus or a decision or the discussion died
out some other way, try to do a very short summary of it in the bugzilla
bug report and update the status of the bug report accordingly.

Also, one advantage of also having feature requests also in bugzilla is
that it's easy to point to existing resolutions for some common
requests. If someone asks on the mailing list about why there isn't a
desktop sharing feature for the second time, it's easy to point to the
bugzilla bug report where the decision is summarized (it's usually
easier to search bugzilla than mailing list archives), and avoid having
to have the entire discussion and summarize once again on the mailing
list. If someone put's a "why isn't there a remote desktop feature"
enhancement request in bugzilla, it's easy to make it a duplicate of the
existing bugzilla bug report about the same issue and be done with it.

So bugzilla and the development mailing lists are used complimentary.
Surely most other application teams in GNOME also believe in mailing
list developer discussions, but they also often use bugzilla to track
specific enhancement requests, even though it may be discussed
elsewhere. This is why there is a "enhancement" category to begin with
in bugzilla. :)

Christian