Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] changed /etc/gconf permissions and 0.85 package still won't go

Quoting Damien Sandras (dsandras seconix com):
> This is not the only way to fix GConf problems. See previous posts on
> how to fix that problem.  However, sander's package should install
> correctly the schemas, and it worked for me. My conclusion is that
> your GConf installation is probably broken.  You should subscribe to
> their mailing list and ask there.
>
> I put Sander in cc; perhaps he will have an idea.

During creation of the gnomemeeting package I have had a lot of trouble
with GConf. Usually what I did when gnomemeeting refused to start with
the gconf error: I removed _ALL_ and _EVERY_ file matching *gnomemeeting*
in /etc/gconf and ~/.gconf, even ~root/.gconf and install the schemafile
again.

There's 2 ways to install the schema file:
	--makefile-install-rule <file>
	--install-schema-file=<file>

In the debian package I use --make-install-rule in the postinst, and for
Debian and it's (package-installed) gconf setup, this works.

For some reasons the schema file sometimes wouldn't install on my
system. One of the reasons I could find was that /tmp/orbit-root had
incorrect permissions and gconftool wouldn't work. This happened
especially when running the gconftool command inside a su session.
If that happens, make sure gconf isn't running and just remove the
/tmp/orbit-* dirs and try again.

It's gconf that is the pain-in-the-you-know-where, not gnomemeeting.
I'll go read the thread on the ML now, and see what I can say.

Regards,
Sander.