Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] debug: different on RH71 than Suse73

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 03:53:11PM -0700, Guilhem Tardy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Derek for your explanation. I am actually using "gnomemeeting -d" for
> debugging my code in the OpenH323 stack.

It seems a bad idea to me. Full debugging is obtained by tweaking configure.in
to link against the debug versions of OpenH323
(see comments inside configure.in).

> I could get debug info from H323 (although not from PwLib) with the *.so.*
> dynamic libraries from "make" (i.e. not "make debug"), following the steps laid
> out on the GnomeMeeting website. This consists essentially in running "make" in
> ~/pwlib, then in ~/openh323 and lastly in ~/gmeeting.

make ?
The website tells to do "make opt". "make opt" doesn't correspond at all to
a debug version of the libraries, but to a "release quality" compilation.

> According to your explanation, I shouldn't have gotten debug info from OpenH323
> in the first place. As a matter of fact, this happened on a Suse73 system and
> everything is fine. But strangely, the same thing on a RH71 system crashes
> GnomeMeeting as soon as I start a connection (the remote side doesn't even see
> it) and ONLY when I run GnomeMeeting with "-d". My gut feeling is that PwLib is
> the culprit, as GM only sets:
>
>   if (debug)
>     PTrace::Initialise(6);
>
> The only two debug messages I am getting on the RH71 system are two:
>   H323 Listener:8198768 H323    Awaiting TCP connections on port 1720
>   H323 Listener:8198768 TCP     Waiting on socket accept on ip$*:1720
>
> This is normal, until I press the connect button and the app goes havroc. ;)
> Does this recall anything to you?

Such a behavior happens with GnomeMeeting (or other OpenH323 apps) when
you are using an OpenH323 version that has been compiled with one given version
of PWLib and that you are running it with another version of pwlib.
My guess is that you have a mix of different versions of PWLib/openh323
on your system, and that GM doesn't dynamically link with the right one.
It is a frequent case, and a frequent answer/solution on the channel/mailing
list. People are using a lot of different versions of PWLib and OpenH323, and
the apps run with one version of PWLib while OpenH323 was compiled with another
version of PWLib.

I'm personnally using GM with -d and "make opt" or "make debug" versions of
OpenH323 every day without any problem. And there are a lot of other developers
doing the same every day.

My advice :
- clean your system
- make sure that your OpenH323 programs are dynamically linking with the
right versions of PWlib / OpenH323

Damien