Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Recommendations for a good webcam?

On Sun, 2002-04-14 at 20:26, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> there's not actually some special webcam we can recommed. more or less
> all webcams with drivers seem to work. if you can get a webcam at a
> local store you can ask on the ML if anyone is using this webcam
> successfully. the supported drivers list can be found on the web at:
> http://webcam.sourceforge.net/#cams

Well, on my 2nd try I had success.  I originally bought a Kensington
because it was supposedly supported on www.linux-usb.org, but I couldn't
get it to work under Linux (no picture).  And it is discontinued, so I
couldn't get W2K drivers for my work machine.  So I took it back and got
a cheap Veo Stingray.  I eventually got it working after making a minor
change to ibmcam.c that was mentioned on a link from linux-usb.  So
anyway I got it running.  The picture isn't very good, but the camera
was cheap.

> about your router problem: it will be not easy getting it to work.
> currently we are investigating for the required settings. this is done
> for linux-nat-routers. as far as i know there is no one involved in
> writing a FAQ-entry about hardware routers. if you want to help, we'd be
> pleased to see you join the team. there were users on the ml telling

I'll help in whatever way I can.  By the way, I have had some success
here.  I have a Linksys BEFSR41.  I had to update the firmware to
1.46.2.  I then my router's DMZ option to point to my Linux machine's IP
address.  This effectively exposes it completely to the internet, so
it's dangerous unless the machine is locked down.  I then called in via
NetMeeting from outside, and GnomeMeeting answered.  For what it's
worth, my parents have an SMC router, and I was unable to get it to
answer calls, but they can call from behind the router.  I may also try
other router settings to see how they work.

Another note:  I was also able to get Netmeeting 3.0 (W2K) to receive a
large picture sent from GnomeMeeting, even though the FAQ states that
this probably won't work.  Indeed, the first time I called in it
didn't.  So I disconnected, set the picture size to Small, then
reconnected.  I then got a picture.  So I disconnected, set the picture
to Large, and reconnected.  Now the large picture transmitted fine.  I
have no idea why that worked...  Maybe because the "large" image is only
352x288?

> (until someone writes a windows/mac-version) i'm a little puzzled that
> to your hardware routers "kernel-patches" are no problem, but maybe i
> just misunderstood your question. =) Damien just told me there are

Yeah, I meant kernel-patching my Linux machine behind the router.

Well, now that I've figured that out it's time to play with more
options.  If someone were to write a T.120 protocol handler (is anyone
attempting this?), then I assume I would be able to Chat with NetMeeting
clients?  Or is the spec not available?  I haven't even started looking
into this, so the questions may be kind of dumb.

Dan