Re: [GnomeMeeting-list]Video quality

le mar 30-10-2001 à 12:31, Lawrence Manning a écrit :
> I will look into compiling the CVS version shortly, then.
>
> I only say about this because my experience of video+audio has been, well,
> not very good.  In the test situation, I had my camera turned on, and the
> other person did not.  Bear in mind that I am on 64kbit ISDN, and the
> other end is an ADSL connection, and we are connecting via a IPSec VPN.
> Anyway, audio only is great, no problems at all.  But when I try to send
> video, the other party receives some video, but gets only a second or so
> of sound every 10 sec or so.  Not good.  So it is nice that there should
> be a way to "prioritise" the sound.  BTW, int his test case we are both
> using gnomemeeting.

Try CVS and try to put a limit on the video bandwidth in kbytes/s.
This will cope with your problem.
Other users reported that it was necessary to limit the bandwidth used
by the video.
Increase the jitter buffer value in case of problem.

> So my logic WAS right :) What is curious, is that the update blocks isn't
> the other way around.  Ie. a count of how many "forground" blocks are sent
> per frame.  The forground being the part of the picture that is changing.
> Surely if you take the english litterally, blocks that have not changed do
> not need to be transmitted?  Ah.. this is confusing :(

It should be non updated blocks transmitted. You are right.

> Anyway, to me to get the best quality we should be sending as much as
> possible of the image per frame.  Is there a way to increase the updated
> blocks beyond 99?

No, this is the maximum.

But it is normal to have choppy sound if the video quality is maximum.

> Am I right in thinking that the "video quality" setting basically sets the
> quality of each video block?  In which case, this setting is working quite
> properly as I can see that for a high number, the blocks are not so
> defined.

This also changes the pixelisation of the picture.
> Anyway, I love gnomemeeting :) I am just trying to get some use out of my
> rather crap webcam :)

Thanks :-)
All suggestions or bug reports are welcome.
Try CVS and tell me :)
(video bandwidth limitation disables the effect of the 2 above settings
(quality and background blocks) because they dynamically change during
the call to have the requested bandwidth)

--
Damien Sandras

GnomeMeeting - H.323 Video-Conferencing application -
  web:	http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
FOSDEM 2002  - Free Software and Open Source Developers Meeting -
  web:	http://www.fosdem.org/