[GnomeMeeting-list]videochat newbie here!

I was hoping for some help.
I am new to videoconferencing and have had little luck figuring it out.
The videochat options on Linux seem quite new and underdeveloped.
Of course then, since I am new to videochat stuff, I don't know of many Linux programs or how to use them.
I was hoping that I could have some luck with gnomemeeting.
I tried to connect to my friend who uses netmeeting 3.0, but had little luck.
I got his video, but none of his audio.
He did not get audio or video from me.
I don't know if he was using his land line or his satellite(in)+modem(out) connection.
I had little luck connecting to other people too.
Most have a transmitting error. I assume that is because they are not using netmeeting, but cuseeme or paltalk or something instead.
I am not sure if my friend was using the Microsoft codec listed on the site either.

Any help and tests would be appreciated.

PS: I set my subscription to daily digest mode.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/