Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Best USB web cam for linux

On Sun, 2001-12-09 at 15:17, Vijay Rao wrote:
> Gregory Gee wrote:
> >
> >   Looking for opinions on what the best USB webcam is for linux.  I have heard about
> > 2 cameras a lot recently.  The Phillips Vesta Pro and the Logitech Quickcam 3000 Pro.
> > Any opinions on which I should add to my christmas list?
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> I've got a Philips ToUCamPro and am very happy with it. It's a CCD based
> webcam (some webcams are still CMOS based), has builtin (USB) microphone which
> works better (=less noise) than my standard microphone connected to my
> soundcard. Under Windows it should do a maximum of 60frames per second, under
> linux more like 30. It comes with an egg-shaped carrying case which is handy
> if you take it around with a laptop. And it works in pretty bad lighting
> situations. Moreoever, it's adequately supported under Linux through a kernel
> module which handles the proprietary (de)compression routines. The module is
> available at 'http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam'.
>
> I think that the Vesta is an earlier model?

	I do own both.
The Vesta Pro is an earlier model. ToUCamPro is definitely better than
the first. As I was recently asking for feeback about what webcam anyone
use, nobody send me screenshot (except  Nalf).

	So I can _personaly_ tell that the picture is great. but I have no
comparaison arguments.
The ToUCamPro 740k just give fine contrasted picture even if you have a
window behind, or even if you have just the light of your sreen to
lighten your face.

Rafael Pinilla                           M.D.
rafa at nerim.fr                         Linux addict since 1992