Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Best USB web cam for linux

Gregory Gee wrote:

>   Looking for opinions on what the best USB webcam is for linux.  I have heard about
> 2 cameras a lot recently.  The Phillips Vesta Pro and the Logitech Quickcam 3000 Pro.
> Any opinions on which I should add to my christmas list?

Hi Greg,

I've got a Philips ToUCamPro and am very happy with it. It's a CCD based
webcam (some webcams are still CMOS based), has builtin (USB) microphone which
works better (=less noise) than my standard microphone connected to my
soundcard. Under Windows it should do a maximum of 60frames per second, under
linux more like 30. It comes with an egg-shaped carrying case which is handy
if you take it around with a laptop. And it works in pretty bad lighting
situations. Moreoever, it's adequately supported under Linux through a kernel
module which handles the proprietary (de)compression routines. The module is
available at 'http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam'.

I think that the Vesta is an earlier model?

Merry Christmas, yo ho ho,

Vijay