Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Ideas and considerations for the addressbook code

Julien PUYDT a �it :
***** ABOUT EVOLUTION-DATA-SERVER

The evolution-data-server api looks pretty good -- except that it seems to mainly handle static vcard-based contacts, where I would like to be able to handle things like.

Hmmm... this sentence should have ended with "able to handle things like
live contacts with presence (SIP and XMPP)".

On the subject of big addressbook handling, I must say what
evolution-data-server does is quite nice : they run a query (EQuery) on
a book (EBook), which gives them a view of the result (EBookView).

That means that they can easily do a partial view of an addressbook,
since they control what is seen!

While this organisation doesn't suffer from the problem �ic pointed
out, it has still a problem : how does one just "search" ? I mean, if
your api is "search a book => get a view", how does one make a search
which encompasses all books?

Snark

PS: notice that the current addressbook code happily tries to get all
contacts, whatever the size of the addressbook -- and even not
asynchronously!