Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GnomeMeeting Modifications

Hi Bryce,

let's see:

> 1)  Control the gain between each users microphone and their own ear as
> well as the ear of the remote listener.

is something to do with ALSA. Not GM-specific.

> 2)  Introduce noise (or whatever we wish to introduce) and convolution
> (frequency distortion) to either person's ear or both persons ears.
> Also introduce dropouts.

same as 1.)

> 3)  Select a speech coder of our choice (ie GSM or CELP, I see that
> various GSM coders are included in the plugins).

is already available. Missing codecs need to be provided to OpenH323.

> 4)  Guarantee that the "jitter" is within a certain range, maybe 10 ms
> (provided a good network connection).

Is up to your network. If you need "more" jitter, then you can use the
iptables delay module or whatever its name is. Anyway, this part is not
GM-specific either.

> 5)  Record the conversations between the users.

Here it gets a bit tricky. I'm not aware of H.323-recording. You might
want to jump to Ekiga (GnomeMeeting 2.0) and use SIPsak. That might
however break 3.)

> I understand that I will need to modify the source code to accomplish
> items 1,2,4.  I assume there is some buffer that is filled before the
> audio data is sent to the coder (GSM, etc), and that I can perform the
> said modifications to the signal at that point.  Can you tell me what
> source files interact with the coder and the audio (ALSA, etc) driver?

pwlib/plugins/alsa IIRC. Somewhere around that.

> Also, are there any docs that exist about the source code that aren't in
> the source code package (gnomemeeting-1.2.2.tar.gz, etc)?

*.c is config, *.h is help. I guess that's what you meant, right? ;)

> Other questions:
>
> Is there a nice way to turn off transmission of video?  My "turn of the
> video button" is grayed out.

Go to the prefs. You can switch of video transmission entirely there.
But if the video button is grayed and the status bar at the bottom reads
V:0.00/0.00 it's already off.

> Does GnomeMeeting provide the capability to record the conversation
> without changing the source code?  And if so, is there a nice way to
> time-stamp it?

No.

> Furthermore, do you think it would be worth putting together a patch for
> GnomeMeeting so others who want to do experiments of this type will have
> this tool available to me?

It has been asked like 3 times already, thus it's not majorly popular.
Anyway, feedback is always welcome, so please do speak up what you find
and come up with. It's at least worth posting it to the mailinglist
archive that you got it working and how.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian