Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] win32 build issues

Kilian Krause wrote:
Hi Michael,

Am Freitag, den 27.01.2006, 14:44 +0100 schrieb Michael Rickmann:
Hello everybody,
I am new to this list and have been fighting the Windows compiling of Ekiga for a while. This morning I discovered the win32 packages at http://snapshots.gnomemeeting.net/win32/ . I will give them a try this weekend. Here are my experiences so far:

The directory layout can be simplyfied very much if you install The GIMP for Windows before building. Actually you only need the GTK+-runtime bin directory in your Windows %PATH% (e.g. C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C: \WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\GTK\2.0\bin for a German Windows). This seems to emerge as a standard for GTK progs on Windows. Also Gaim uses this location. For building, only install the -dev zip-files into your ming32 or i686-pc-mingw32 tree. Then you should only need the files currently contained in ekiga-core.zip for running ekiga. Unfortunately the current ekiga.exe has a hardwired opinion where to find its dlls. The runtime found at http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html also looks a bit nicer on an XP-box than the dlls in ekiga-shell.zip.

well, all of Ekiga CVS and even the build script for crosscompilation is
open source. You're invited to join the hackfest and provide patches to
make the above idea come reality. To me it sounds like a sensible idea
to reuse the system-installed libs if available and I'd like to include
it into the crosscompilation.

I fully agree : being able to share the gtk+ installation across various programs would be nice.