Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Ekiga on win32 packages

Hello!

I'm sorry to answer to an old thread, but I think this is better than
repeating things...

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:31:59 +0100, Luis Menina wrote:
> 1. Got some errors on startup about port listening.
> http://liberforce.blogsite.org/ekiga-win32/ekiga-1.png
> http://liberforce.blogsite.org/ekiga-win32/ekiga-2.png
> I think it's because the net config at work forbids this kind of
> services, but not sure. However, telling the port number along with
> the error message would simplify the work for people that wish to
> enable access to ekiga on their firewalls.

I suffered the same errors on three different XP SP2 (1 Home and 2
Pro).  And I found the problem :-)

This is cause by the fact that if you have more than one interface,
Ekiga pick up by default the first one in alphabetical order.  Just
choose in "Protocols -> Network Settings -> Network Interfaces" to
listen to the one which is really connected and the errors disappear,
without manually setting the port numbers (which, anyway, in my case
didn't work).  After that, I was successfully able to register to
ekiga.net :-D

AFAIK the situation is quite different from GNU/Linux, where if the
interface is available, but not up, it isn't shown in the list.  On
Windows, however, even if the interface is down (i.e., not connected,
but not disabled), it's shown in the list, thus generating the above
errors.

The GNU/Linux behavior is obtained on Windows when the interface is
disabled in the network preferences (I tested this).  The best thing
should be to have the same even when the interface is down (i.e.,
enabled, but not connected).

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca