Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] bluetooth-headset (btsco) support within ekiga

Jan Falkenhagen wrote:
Hi,

i had a talk  in the ekiga irc-room five minutes ago, asking whether it
is possible to execute a shellcommand ("$btsco adress channel") or do
anything equivalent that would allow me to connect to my btsco-enabled
bluetooth headset (creating the btsco audio device) when starting a call
in ekiga. this would mainly offer two advantage over connecting when
starting ekiga:

1) the dumb user (me) could hardly forget switching on the headset when
actually starting a call (cause picking up the phone and starzting a
call is somehow atomic), while if the connection has to be established
when ekiga is started, most users won't think of turning on the headset
before which will cause the connection to fail.

2) power consumption of the headset would be very much lower.

it would be very nice if such a feature could be implemented.

I've not played with btsco for a while, but I think a more sensible sugguestion would be for the module/btsco application to create a virtual sound device when it is started. This sould device always exists and can be set to "passthru" to an existing sound device.

e.g. (using OSS as example for device names but this would be fine with ALSA devices too) Say I have sound device /dev/dsp. I load the snd-bt-sco module and start the btsco application. This creates /dev/dsp2 and takes one of two actions - if it can detect my device as being in range it passes audio to/from the device as per-normal operation - if the device is out of range then it piggy backs onto /dev/dsp for it's input/output.

This is a more generic setup... You'd configure ekiga to use /dev/dsp2 and it would "just work"(tm) with your core sound device until such times are you turn on your BT adapter at which point it will flip across to that.

I don't know much about these things but I'd have thought that was a more flexible solution and saves devices appearing/disappearing all the time.

Col.