[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Gnomemeeting's future

I have just pretty much installed all the open source voip programs and tested them briefly out. A few promising, a few horrible, a few ancient, ... And at least one rather good. One with a decent GUI, sane configuration and it seemed to work as well. With other products too. Yes, that was Gnomemeeting. Quite good, I would say "commercial grade" but that doesn't nowadays seem to mean anything anymore. Rather than Gnomemeeting being good and just working (which is nice nevertheless) I would like it to be really The application. It's missing a few tiny things to be perfect. At least imho...

I read (from the archives) about how the next Gnomemeeting releases will perhaps support sip too. If it came true it would be just awesome. Interoperability is one of the key factors of the software. What good would be a phone for if I couldn't reach my friends with it anyways. Is there any eta (even a very rough one?) when sip will work?

Furthermore is some maniac working on a Windows version? That would lure more people to a) use Gnomemeeting b) use Linux. (And we all know that would be gooood.) I bet the cygwin can't handle for instance the v4l stuff... ? Interoperability with Windows client(s) would be quite nice indeed. Netmeeting? It's plain horrible. Gnomemeeting ported to Windows would beat the crap out of Netmeeting 100-0. Besides it seems Microsoft is slowly getting rid of it and the features (for instance the video and audio codecs) are seriously aging.

I have been myself quite discontent with all the messengers and alike that support video. Sure, they work, but why does the picture has be the size of a post stamp? Seriously. You seen the funny image with Stevie Wonder at front of the piano with the caption "I CAN'T SEE SHIT"? I feel constantly just like that. All modern web cameras support 640x480 and some even more. Most of us are on a broadband connection and/or have calculation power for compressing the video on the fly. Standard issues? When will we have something that will supports larger pictures?

(When will Gnomemeeting support H264 or some other codec with higher compression rate? Will it?)

I'd like to get a few words from the developers on these matters. There didn't seem to be any sort of roadmap at least on the web pages..

Hotmail vai Hotmail Plus? Tutustu palveluihin. http://www.imagine-msn.com/hotmail/fi-fi/