Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Apologies

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:48:23 +0200
PUYDT Julien <jpuydt free fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> now that the flaming is over:
>
> 1) any device plugin should accept to open things under as many names as
> possible (user-friendly, devices or whatever) ;

I agree.

> 2) any device plugin should probably avoid giving the same device
> several times under different names: it should give it under the most
> convenient name (I know I'm hiding the issue behind "convenient", but
> the point is: no duplication) ;

This may not be compatible with with 1), but in any case is why I
proposed that the "friendly" name be defined as an attribute of the
actual device, rather than being used as the canonical name.

> 3) at least one device plugin already has no link to a /dev file: the
> AVC plugin just knows about a device number on the IEEE1394 bus (if I
> remember well), and hides it by getting the name of the device ;

There is nothing that says that the device name has to be the name of
something in /dev, as it certainly won't be for Windows and may not be
for other operating systems either (OSX etc). The only requirements for
this name are:

  1) it is guaranteed to be unique
  2) it can be used by the OS to locate the required device
  3) it should have some association with a bus/connection/device so
that there is at least some chance of the user knowing what it is
related to.

> 4) if you[Craig] really look forward to see GM on win32, perhaps you can
> help Damien to shake Xavier Ricco, who volunteered to do the port, said
> he could get it running, but didn't give any details on neither how to
> make it compile/run (patch or some such) nor how well it worked, before
> he left for vacation ;-)

With Damien's assistance, I have previously offered any assistance to
Xavier that he might want, such as offering to try compiling his code.
However the answer was always "we're not ready yet - we'll let
you know when".

While I would really like to help, I'm not in a position to undertake a
complete Gnome porting project unassisted, so I have to wait until
someone can help with the Win32 Gnome stuff so I can help with the
PWLib/OpenH323 issues

> 5) it isn't exactly about the flaming subject, but since it was about
> pwlib's plugins and the win32 port was mentioned: pwlib lacks a video
> input plugin on MOSX, and that's as far as I know the only thing that
> prevents a GM port on MOSX...

Right now, the main problem with OSX is that Shawn Hsaio (who did the
original OSX work) seems to have moved on, and very few people seem to
have been able to duplicate his work. I'm exchanging messages with a guy
in Switzerland who is working on getting PWLib/OpenH323 compiled again
on OSX - when that work produces a result I will certainly announce it.
And once that is done, we can look at a getting video input device
working

  Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog