Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] GK connection renewal

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 18:44 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le lundi 18 octobre 2004 �7:48 +0200, daniel huhardeaux a �it :
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I use GM-cvs on my laptop, connected to my GK through internet. If I put
> > my laptop in hibernate mode and restart it when needed, most of the
> > time, I have then to go in prefernces -> gatekeeper and click apply so
> > my laptop unregistred/registred to GK. If I'm not doing this, I will not
> > be able to place a call.
> >
> > Could it be possible to add a feature like in SIP to renew registration
> > each x seconds? Or this problem shouldn't exist in H323 which means that
> > something is broken in my installation (eg power saving)?
> >

> Last time I discussed that with Craig he told me that it shouldn't work
> that way. Anyway, it would be a workaround to your problem, I guess that
> if you have to reregister again, it is because your power saving cuts
> the network connection to the GK, and thus the GK removes your alias
> from its internal table.

Another laptop relate problem I have reported before:  Sometimes, I run
my laptop on connected to the net.  GM starts up just fine, but then
pops up a dialogue saying it could not connect to the GK.  Thats fine,
if I have no net how could it!  The problem is, the next time I restart
and I am on the net, GM is now set to 'do not register'.  I don't think
I should have to remember each time I start up 'now, am I registered or
not... click on preferences, ... etc).  I would like a 'always try to
register' option.  Now, an always register option + a timeout would be
even better!

(I used to run gconftool on startup to to always change the setting but
that was a bit of a hack)

> If I add a timeout, say 5 minutes, it will perhaps at best reregister 4
> minutes 59 seconds after you are going out of power saving.

The gconftool may help:  If I am not wrong you could run a command in
your hibernate script to unregister + reregister after you hibernate.
Or better: unregister before you hibernate and reregister after.  This
will allow for IP address changes during the hibernation process.