[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] DMIX / DSNOOP support removed

Hi all,

I have removed DMIX/DSNOOP support from CVS and replaced it with support
for teh "Default" soundcard.

You can find the argumentation in bug #149922:
"Currently, gnomemeeting only lets you select ALSA hardware devices and
the hardcoded dmix option. I use asym with dmix and dsnoop, and there's
no way to get gnomemeeting to use these. Even the hardcoded dmix option
doesn't work because I made my own dmix device in asound.conf with some
settings changed.

I found a message on gnomemeeting-list that suggested adding an option to use
the "default" device, which would solve my problems:
  <http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-list/2004-April/msg00232.html>
That thread ended here:
  <http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-list/2004-May/msg00002.html>
with the author stating that a "default" option is unnecessary because you can
select your hardware device. But that isn't sufficient, because
- As pointed out above, "default" doesn't have to be a hardware device.
- You shouldn't have to select your sound card for every program you run,
anyway! It's called "default" for a reason: it should be up to ALSA and the user
to decide what the default is, not each individual program that uses the soundcard."

You can find doc here :
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=asym

Here is my own .asoundrc, without dsnoop but with dmix and frequency conversion:

pcm.asym {
        type asym
        playback.pcm "dmix"
        capture.pcm "hw:0"
}
pcm.dmix {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,0"
        }
}
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "asym"
        }
}

default is of type "plug", ie able to do frequency conversion, and will use device asym.
Device asym will playback using dmix and record using hw:0.

Enjoy!

//\     FOSDEM      : http://www.fosdem.org