Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Zeroconf support

Am Sonntag, 14. November 2004 23:18 schrieb Kilian Krause:
> Hi Damien,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 14.11.2004, 19:58 +0100 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is still one crash when you change your info and click on Apply or
> > make a call. That doesn't always happen, I'm investigating.
>
> searching around on http://www.multicastdns.org/ it seems that Multicast
> DNS packets use UDP port 5353. So this service needs to be installed
> alongside to regular BIND. mDNSresponder should be fine, however i
> haven't yet tried much with it.. So far i just found out that SRV RRs in
> mDNS regarded quite special to regular DNS and thus will not affect any
> regular DNS infrastructure from what i read.
DNS-SD (www.dns-sd.org) often uses mDNS, but does not need it - in theory, at
least Apples implementation only works with mDNS, and as libhowl is based on
Apples code ...

> Point however is that it really sounds like every PC needs a local
> multicast IP and thus will fail on *EVERY* regular (ipv4-only)
> installation that does not insert some IP from the 239.255.0.0/16 range
> to eth*. The only chance for hosts to automagically work in a LAN will
> be IPv6 that does usually (if not disabled forcefully) set link-local
> IPs by default.
Yes, every host should run its own mDNS resolver, but it does not need any IP
in the 239.255.0.0/16 range. Every host answers to multicast pings, (when the
ip stack supports it), try "ping -c2 224.0.0.1" (implicit group of multicast
capable hosts). Starting the mDNSresolver should add the host to the
224.0.0.251 multicast group (and I am almost shure this violates the
multicast specification ...), and after that your host should answer to ping
224.0.0.251.

> If someone could shed some light how the GM setup for a host is meant to
> be and what a SOHO setup should look like and how it could be verified
> (apparently not with regular dnsutils), i'd be thankful for some
> pointers.. I'd definitely add this to the official or inofficial FAQ
> with some pointers how to debug problems.
howl includes a mDNS browser IIRC ...

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Kastanienweg 6 - Zimmer 1206  /  52074 Aachen
mailto:lurch gmx li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/