[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Audio/video calls and gaim

Hi,

the current gaim-gnomemeeting plugin (see plugin tracker or ml archives)
is too limited to be really useful:
* the local user has to enter the uri of the remote user by hand ;
* the remote user must have already launched its own audio/video client.

A better use would be:
* local invites remote to an audio/video call ;
* remote accepts ;
* the call begins.

This will allow to pass the uri to call automatically, and make sure
both sides have their client ready for use.

All of this will need some cooperation between gaim and the audio/video
client. I am an official gnomemeeting developper, and I would like to
work on making it possible.

The important things to keep in mind are:
* be as little intrusive as possible in gaim ;
* not make the hooks gnomemeeting-specific: there should be a nice,
clean interface to which other audio/video clients can hook ;
* portability matters.

Here is how I think things could work:
1) a voip-client plugin will make known to the rest of gaim that voip is
available (through some signal?), and tell the local voip-uri ;
2) the protocol plugins that support it will advertize the feature (if
it's possible with the protocol) ;
3) the same prpls will also add a contact menu option to invite to voip
calls (always present or only if remote is able to -- depends on the
protocol);
4) the same prpls will be able to treat invitations (send them,
accept/refuse them, pass them to the voip-client plugin to make the
call).

Hopefully this doesn't mean any change to the core of gaim, only light
changes to the prpls which will support it and none to the others. I'm
ready to write a plugin to make gnomemeeting available as voip-client in
gaim, and of course modify gnomemeeting to make it possible to use it
with gaim.

Interested?

Snark on #gnomemeeting and #gaim