Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] New addressbook

A few things about the new address book:

- If you want to add the Seconix ILS server, use the following
settings :
hostname: ils.seconix.com
port: 389
base: empty
search attribute: rfc822mailbox
(it will be a default)

- If you want to add a real LDAP server, you can use the following
settings :
hostname: x500.bund.de
port: 389
base: "o=bund,c=de"
search attribute: telephoneNumber

The search attribute is the LDAP attribute to use to build the calling
url.

On ILS, it will typically be the email address.

On LDAP servers, if the LDAP server is H.350 based, it will be an
attribute containing the alias on the gatekeeper (I don't remember the
name).

On normal LDAP servers, people will logically use it in conjunction with
a gatekeeper where the user email address will be the thing to call to
create a call.

Another possibility on normal LDAP servers would be to use the
"telephoneNumber" field, and to suppose that registered people are
registered to e164.org or similar. In that case, their real phone number
is associated to a real H.323 URL, if you call the telephone number,
then the call will be established with the person having associated that
phone number with a given H.323 URL in e164. GM 1.2 will support that.

As you can see, you have several possibilities :
- ILS without gatekeeper : rfc822mailbox
- LDAP with H.350 and a gatekeeper : alias (the gatekeeper registered
alias)
- LDAP without H.350 but with a gatekeeper : rfc822mailbox
- LDAP without H.323 and without a gatekeeper but with e164 :
telephoneNumber

Of course, you can register basically anything as alias to a gatekeeper,
and then use the corresponding standard field in your LDAP server to
call the user. For example, I could setup an LDAP server with standard
attributes, and decide that people have to use their firstname to
register to the gatekeeper. Then, the LDAP attribute to use to call
people on your LDAP server will be "givenname".

GM will come with sane defaults for :
- ils.seconix.com
- ldap.seconix.com (H.350 enabled)

Then it will depend on the user if he wants to use telephoneNumber and
e164 or rfc822mailbox or anything else. We will have to document that.

Comments? Is it a good thing?