Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Comments on the coding rules in the wiki

On lun, 2004-05-10 at 22:22, Damien Sandras wrote:
> You have convinced me on that one. STATIC callbacks should now use the
> private structure as data pointer.

Nice ;-)

> I also added/changed 2 things :
> - contextual menus should be created with the object they are attached
> to.

Indeed: as much as possible should be created with the object they are
attached to.

> - if you build a part of the GUI, it should be put in its initial state
> just after you create it, at the same place, and not in the creation
> function. The only exception is for menus.

I'm confused by that sentence... "just after you create it ... not in
the creation function"!?

I would think that things should be created in a sane state, like this:
object = gm_object_new (params...);
without the need to do things like:
object = gm_object_new ();
gm_object_make_sane (object, params...);

Could you make your point clearer?

> I'm a bit confused about that one. For example, I create the prefs
> window in GnomeMeeting::BuildGUI, but where should I initialize the list
> of available devices and available codecs? In BuildGUI right after the
> creation or in the EndPoint initialization? I consider it should be put
> in its initial state just right after the creation. Only the menus can
> be put in their initial state during the creation, because it is more
> convenient ;)

I must admit that I'm a bit confused by GnomeMeeting::GnomeMeeting and
GnomeMeeting::BuildGUI ; in my opinion, the latter should disappear, and
the former should do all the work.