Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Question about Evolution-Data-Server

On Enj , 2004-03-25 at 15:41 +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Integration with Evolution Data Server is on the TODO list for
> GnomeMeeting 1.2, but the more I think to it, the more I ask myself a
> few questions.
>
> For example, should we remove the current address book from GnomeMeeting
> or keep it like it is now but using Evolution Data Server as backend?

It really depends on your needs. Since ILS is a so very broken
implementation based on LDAP, you still need custom stuff for that. The
LDAP backend in Evolution will not Just Work (TM). So you will still
need to keep the UI for browsing the ILS anyway, currently.

> I wonder if GNOME programs will all have their own address book with the
> same backend and following their needs (all programs have different
> needs in terms of addressbook, think to Evolution, GnomeMeeting and
> GAIM) or if there will be a common address book as a separate process
> with applications using it instead of rewriting their own address book?

There's not really any reason to have all gnome apps have their own
address book UI. Though, there are certain needs specific to certain
apps, that they will still have their own UI for doing. As far as
Evolution is specifically concerned, it is, and will be in a more
official capacity for gnome 2.8, the gnome address book, calendar, and
mail client. The clock applet in 2.6 already has optional code to
connect to the data server and display a list of tasks in the pop-down.
It is optional because evolution-data-server is not part of the actual
Gnome Desktop Platform yet.

I think the right solution is definately for GnomeMeeting to start using
the EBook APIs in evolution-data-server to do some contacts-related
stuff. In Senility, the local buddy list will be stored entirely in the
Evolution address book using e-d-s. There's really no need to duplicate
all of that contact information in XML files, on the server, in e-d-s,
and in other potential places also. It just ends up being a total pain
to deal with keeping the different storages in sync. And Gaim is very
un-smart about what to do with buddies when they are in the local XML
file, but not on the server. Integrating all these pieces, is definately
the way to move forward here.

-- dobey