Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] [RFC] New addressbook, evolution-data-server and internal contacts

Damien answered:
> That's not right, they just need to know the format of data
passed to
> them.

Indeed, they must know the format. But they shouldn't know
where the data comes from.

> That's a problem you won't be able to fix with your new
approach either.
> You should read the GTK manual for drag-and-drop from a Tree
View, or
> drag-and-drop in general. What you see line 284 is just the
callback
> that is called when you receive data from a TreeView.

Hmmm... Can't the receiver just call
gtk_drag_get_source_widget () to find the source, and then get
the data from that?

> That's unfortunately wrong again. That would be the ideal
situation
> though.
> The problem is that you only know what is dragged when you
are in the
> appropriate callback, and the only data available there to
determine the
> contact dragged is the TreeView itself, not an hypothetical
vcard :(

When the user selects a contact in the list, isn't it possible
to generate the vcard, and put it as data to the widget that
is a drag source? The destination would then get the widget,
and read the vcard? (even that sounds way too complex ; how
would different apps be supposed to cooperate with such a
terrible dnd scheme!?)

> Yes, small remark here : it has to be optional, ie you
should be able to
> do with or without evolution-data-server.

For drag'n drop between different gnome apps, what is
transmitted _must_ be compatible. So that will have to be
generated from gm's own code (notice: from a GPL app to a GPL
app, I guess we can copy-paste some code -- just making it
openly, talking to the original authors, and with proper
copyright assignments). Probably not a big deal, since most of
gm won't need a full-featured contact.

> Good idea!

Yes, raw = probably no need for a wide dependancy on e-d-s.

> GnomeMeeting should have an address book. Don't forget
people who won't
> want to install E-D-S, don't forget windows either. Our
address book
> just should
> be able to manage both our contacts and E-D-S contacts. Our
contacts
> being the short form of E-D-S contacts (ie less details, and
only those
> with an URL would be displayed).

Doesn't sound easy. How to sync both?

> >* how will speed-dial work?
> >

> If you keep an addressbook, that's not a problem, a speed
dial is just a
> quick link to an URL.

Even without addressbook, I guess having an association
speed_dial->url would be enough.

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34?/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34?/mn)