[GnomeMeeting-devel-list] [Fwd: Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox]

-----Message transféré-----
From: Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Proposed: Rhythmbox
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:47:42 +0100

Le lun 05/01/2004 à 11:38, Damien Sandras a écrit :
> > > Why is gnomemeeting part of the core desktop then?  It is quite difficult
> > > to compile, and adds bulk that I think many users at this stage could do
> > > without.
> >
> > This is increasingly seen as a difficult to support module, as it keeps
> > depending on bleeding edge versions of libraries, it was recently pointed
>
> I won't deny that GnomeMeeting is hard to build if you are unexperimented and
> depending on the CVS version of OpenH323 is nearly the only way to make it
> evolve, sadly. Their API is changing often, very often. However, we are doing
> our best to provide packages for openh323 and pwlib and GnomeMeeting for the CVS
> versions on snapshots.seconix.com. Once OpenH323 is installed, GnomeMeeting is
> not harder than anything else to build.

I wouldn't deny concerning openh323 and pwlib :))

> I see that GnomeMeeting is creating many conflicts inside the GNOME community.
> I agree that 90% of the people do not know what VoIP is, or what it can be
> useful to.
>
> I propose to withdraw GnomeMeeting from the core of GNOME 2.6 and to make it an
> independant application again, or to put it in the Office/Collaborative tools.

I think it would be a mistake. The only problem it openh323/pwlib and I
think/hope it will improve in the future. From what I see, it is not
creating ANY conflict in the community, some people seems to have
problem to understand GnomeMeeting goals and do incorrect assumptions...
(o-
//\     It-Optics s.a.
        FOSDEM 2004:  http://www.fosdem.org