Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] development

Hello,

Le mar 24/06/2003 à 13:40, william e. bastian a écrit :
> MSmessenger 6.0 is out now, with a built in video messaging system to
> replace the netmeeting and  netmessenger twosome.

I think older messengers already had that feature when XP was released,
but I'm not sure.

> it evenworks well with windows 2000(they have versions for 2000 and xp
> among others).  it is a lot more reliable in my experience
> than ymessenger(which the picture keeps freezing).
>   looks like gnomemeeting might have lit a fire under  ms.  good work
> everyone.

Actually we plan to follow another roadmap than Microsoft. I'm nearly
95% convinced it is not the way to go.

For example, our goal is not to follow Microsoft or to follow
proprietary protocols, and we don't plan to integrate messenging
capabilities in GnomeMeeting either.

We want to follow the old Unix moto: "do few things, but do them well",
ie no bloat.

Our long-term plans are thus to follow VOIP standards (H.323 and later
SIP which *could* add compatibility with Messenger if there are common
codecs) and to turn GnomeMeeting in a full-featured and complete VOIP/IP
Telephony and videoconferencing professional application. I prefer to
have a full-featured VOIP application than an instant messenger with a
few (and limited) videoconferencing features...

Feel free to contribute, all, your comments about this opinion. I'm sure
everyone will disagree, but seeing other point of views is interesting.
--
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>