Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] re: HIG review

Hello Christopher,

I'm back and reading my mails. Well, when Calum reviewed the GUI, he
reviewed only some parts of it :
- the main window
- the configuration druid

The preferences window, the calls history and general history windows
were not reviewed.

Here is what I think :
- I understand that things need to be changed to be fully compliant, for
example, the vertical toolbar is something negative, but I have an idea
for that.
- Except this, I don't see why "drastical" changes would be needed. The
only remaining violations are with the spacings, icons, and small
details like those ones.

Here is what I propose you :
- First we discuss why you think that the GUI needs to be fully redone,
we base this discussion on clear HIG violations in the current that
would justify a complete redone.
- If we all agree that it is better for GnomeMeeting to change its GUI,
then we can start to work on mockups BUT after 1.00. Why? Simply because
there are still lots of things to improve in the current GnomeMeeting
before I'm satisfied with it and also because I think the GUI is
something for which people are in general satisfied (Miguel de Icaza for
example was very surprised by the quality of the GUI).

I really think that HIG breakage in GM is not important, most things
being details, easy to fix. The toolbar is something we have to work on,
but I have an idea.

I suggest you to discuss on this ml about the future of the GUI and what
parts you think are violating the HIG and should be drastically changed.
But remember, (and I'm sure that Calum would agree on this), the HIG is
not perfect and is a set of recommendations, there are always exceptions
to the rules, but that needs to be discussed :)

PS: changing the whole GUI to improve it doesn't disturb me at all, but
it should really wait after 1.00.