Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP and GnomeMeeting - please comment

sön 2003-02-23 klockan 19.11 skrev Damien Sandras:
> > The fact that you seem to rather want to duplicate/rewrite functionality
> > of many GNOME libraries in GnomeMeeting itself because you're not
> > entirely happy with them (thus reinventing the wheel), rather than
>
> Who said I was not happy with the GNOME libraries?

I interpreted your recent comments regarding GNOME sound that way.

> > improving libraries so that the situation is improved GNOME-wide, or at
> > least make a tiny bit of effort to do so.
>
> Do you mean Im not doing any effort to improve things in GNOME?

I don't know if it's true or not, but that sure is the impression I get.
When asked about the problems with GNOME sound you mentioned, you
replied you didn't even know if there were any relevant bug reports
about the problems¹. Bug reports about the problems is the least one
could expect from someone willing to improve things, I would think.

> > When asked about why, you seem to take the stance that those libs have
> > always sucked and will always suck as if they were set in stone,
>
> I never said that, so please shut up instead of pretending I've said
> things when it is not true. I hate when people tell I've said things
> when I have not.

"People are telling me that since 2 years" was your reply to the point
of GNOME dropping ESD in favor of something else. Based on that and the
fact that you every time ESD is menioned slip in a comment about how it
sucks, is hard to interpret as anything else than that you heavily
dislike GNOME sound using ESD, haven't made any effort yourself to
investigate or improve the state of things, don't expect it will ever be
fixed, and expect others to fix it for you.

Believe it or not, I don't think it's fun claiming things about people
out of thin air. So I don't do it. I've based the impressions I get on
the actual impressions I get from your mails.

> The main reason to make GNOME optional in GnomeMeeting is to make ports
> easier to other OS's and platforms.

Ok, that is a little more comforting. I got the impression, again based
on several postings to this list, that the general intent with removing
dependancies and duplicating things in many cases was to somehow help
KDE users, which is difficult to grok since even KDE users can have
GNOME libraries installed and never ever need to run GNOME.

That said, I'm still slightly worried that the general direction for the
future will be a "GTKMeeting" rather than a "GnomeMeeting".

Christian

¹ http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnomemeeting-devel-list/2003-February/msg00065.html