Re[2]: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP and GnomeMeeting - please comment

Hi Damien,

DS> I wonder what we could do of that URI, given the fact that it would work
DS> with sip: and h323:. Call it ils: ?

hehe, this time it's my part to play the protagonist.. *gg*

well, i don't like the idea of _renaming_ callto:// into ils:// as
you've just started 2 versions ago (if i remember well) to move ppl
towards this style.. so what shall those innocent users think if you
just change the uri right after you launched it (for they see no
reason why the old one is bad - it worked for them)

regarding the very neutral term of the callto://, i think extending it
to a sip-compatible format would make sense (since it has already 2
sub-styles already anyway) and thus be able to add yet another
protocol type whenever it'll appear in the future (you don't really
think SIP will be there forever and nothing can be replacing it in 5-10
years, do you?)

that way we can use the sip:// style as defined for the
sip-connections and just use our own style for any kind of extension
we find useful in the future..
damien, just remember the _very_ lengthy discussion for "breaking with
h323" .. that was only due to an issue with defined syntaxes.. so if
callto:// isn't bound until now.. why shall not we form it to fit our
needs for the future now and shape it the GM style, for others can use
it later on?

--
Cheers,
 Kilian