Re[2]: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] SIP and GnomeMeeting - please comment

Hi Damien,

DS> What would you choose?
DS> I would choose 2), and I would keep ILS/LDAP, for both SIP and H.323,
DS> even if SIP adds other features for finding users.
DS> The problem is that callto://ils.seconix.com/dsandras seconix com would
DS> still work independantly of the protocol. So what would we do? Keep
DS> h323, sip and callto ? Or rename the
DS> callto://ils.seconix.com/dsandras seconix com into ils:// ?
DS> That way we have standard h323://, standard sip:// (default), and ils://
DS> ?

i still like that callto:// way best.. (having h323:// and sip:// for
sub-definitions of callto://)

if callto:// specs do allow that, i'd love to see something like:
callto://ils.seconix.com/kk verfaction de:h323
or
callto://ils.seconix.com/kk verfaction de%sip/port

and have the "intelligent guessing".. maybe that does in fact scare
you now, but i guess very much that it cleans up, once you try it in
the field..

moreover, if you use the callto:// with ils-style, it's clear to use
the h323 style as primary anyway, regarding that you told ils is
h323-only .. so what we'd need would be
callto://my.serv.er/my ema il:sip for non-default use, as callto://
would default to h323..

so there's another hack we could use.. we have yet the description
field in ils (which is quite unused).. if we add a prefix/suffix like
<sh> or <s> for use SIP (and then h323) or just use SIP.. that's would
clear to the counter-gm which is the default to use.. thus the only
prob remains with non-default ports for sip users listed in the ils..
(and i agree them are _really advanced_), for i don't yet see the
"regular" ils-user as very "knows what he's doing"..

but still, why do we try to find a solution now, when not even the
OPAL is ready and finished yet?

--
Cheers,
 Kilian