Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: Instant Messengers

Le mar 02/12/2003 à 17:11, Mourad De Clerck a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> while I believe I understand your points, as a user of gnomemeeting, I'd
> like it if there was a unified approach to the UI for all my real time
> communication needs. If I understand correctly you seem to feel that
> certain IM features don't map well to certain IP Telephony features, and
> vice versa. My response to that would be to make the merged IM/telephony
> UI general enough to support the features of both, not to try to
> shoehorn telephony into an IM app, or the other way around.

So GnomeMeeting would become a bloated software supporting all sorts of
instant messenging and voice over ip protocols.

> For instance, there's a lot of overlap between the address book/ils
> server in gnomemeeting and the roster in gaim/gossip/... An address book
> encompassing all of those, and offering a shortcut "roster view" to a
> number of contacts would be nice.

But wouldn't be very convenient to use.

[...]

> While I'm at it, a couple of questions on gnomemeeting:
>
> - are you planning to use the gstreamer (or other) framework for
> handling of all the audio/video codecs, or is this not practical at all?

That could be done, but time is the limiting factor here. If I have
time, I will certainly do it. I would really prefer keeping both kind of
applications separate, but integrated, with for example an integrated
GnomeMeeting component inside GAIM so that people using GAIM can use
GnomeMeeting transparently without even knowing it and people using
GnomeMeeting as VoIP solution would use the full program.

> - are you going to stick with h323, switch to SIP (or other), or handle
> both.

Handle both because most features are common. A bit like SJPhone for
windows.

> - a plea for a feature: I often need to communicate a lot with a small
> number of people. It would be nice if I could just tap a hotkey, and
> have a session with a specific person instantly open, tap it again and
> it would be closed (maybe keeping the session active until I tap the
> htokey again). Because I'd like to do this while working, I'd like the
> UI that pops up to be as minimal as possible, video only (like an
> overlay), and not steal the focus of the application I was using, so I
> can just continue working while talking.

You can already associate any event to any key with GNOME; nothing
prevents you from calling gnomemeeting -c URL.

If you mean a shortcut to quickly call people from inside GnomeMeeting,
it is already feasible thanks to speed dials (but you have to type the
speed dial). Version 1.00 CVS lists speed dials in a menu, you can thus
associate any shortcut key to the speed dial in the menu as you can do
with any menu entry. Like for example : Ctrl-K = speed dial 512 = Bill
Gates.

> Event today, I'm a happy user of gnomemeeting. The only problems I
> encounter are not gnomemeetings fault like un- or half-supported
> webcams, or NAT traversal problems with h323 (I mostly use it over a
> VPN, bypassing all the problems at the expense of a little latency I
> suppose).
>
> Thanks a lot for this nice soft.

Thank you!