Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] [Fwd: Re: HIG]

Le mar 17/12/2002 à 17:21, Damien Sandras a écrit :
> Thanks,
>
> at least *one* people will help doing it.
>
> Le mar 17/12/2002 à 13:25, ALPHONSO Fabrice a écrit :
>
> > i'll start working on the Druid part
> >
> > Fabrice
Here is the status of the modifications asked by Damien:
> A list of UI issues and their status.
> --================================--
>
> Thanks to Calum @ Sun for creating this list
>
> All is marked with one of [NONE|INPROGRESS|FIXED|DONTFIX]
>
> Configuration assistant
> -----------------------
>
> page 1/6:
>
> - Title: "Configuration Assistant", should perhaps be "Configuration
>   Druid" to match the titlebar and the main text on the page?  (I'm
>   not a
>   big fan of the term "druid" admittedly, but as long as that's what
>   we're
>   calling these things...)
>
>   Comment: Druid is not so easy to translate and will often result in
>   longer strings

	[FIXED]

> - That's quite a solid block of introductory text, you could maybe
>   insert a blank line before "Once you have completed..." to break it
>   up a
>   bit.

	[FIXED]

> - "Welcome to... the configuration druid" sounds a little odd, either
>   "Welcome to GnomeMeeting", or "This is the GnomeMeeting general
>   configuration druid" would sound better IMHO.

	[FIXED]

> - "Once you have completed... you can always change them later in the
>   preferences".  If all the things you can set here live in the same
>   Preferences dialog, might be nicer to say where the preferences
>   dialog
>   is.  E.g. "Once you have completed these steps, you can always
>   change
>   them later by selecting Preferences on the Edit menu".

	[FIXED]

> Page 2/6:
>
> - Not sure that italics are the best choice for the description at the
>   top of each page, italics are generally the hardest fonts to read
>   on-screen.  Especially on Sun machines that don't support
>   anti-aliasing

	[FIXED]

> - Suggest "Personal Information" rather than "Personal Data".

	[FIXED]

> - "This information will be used when connecting to remote H.323
>   software".  I have no idea what "H.323 software" is, and I'm sure
>   most GnomeMeeting users won't either, definitely not the sort of
>   jargon you should be using in a druid :)

	[FIXED]

> - "Do not register me to ILS": what is ILS?  Is this the "directory of
>   GnomeMeeting users" mentioned in the page description?  If so, you
>   should use that description with the checkbox, too.

	[FIXED]

> - 'Comment' field: what is this comment used for?  It's not clear just
>   by looking at the dialog.

	[FIXED]

> - 'Location': I guess you could maybe be more specific here about what
>   sort of location you're looking for... country, town, city, "in bed"
>   or whatever :)

	[FIXED]

> - Text fields: should all have mnemonics, and only the first word
>   should be capitalised.  I.e. "First name:", "Last name:", and "Email
>   address". (Not "E-mail" address, btw, according to the
>   Documentation Styleguide IIRC).

	[FIXED]

> - Current HIG style for frames is to use bold title and no frame
>   lines, you should probably use that here.  This applies to all
>   pages, but I won't mention it again...

	[FIXED]

> Page 3/6:
>
> - Maybe suggest "Network Connection" rather than "Connection Type".

	[FIXED]

> - "it is possible to tweak and change"... these two words mean much
>   the same thing, but "change" is probably much easier to localise :)
>   Suggest
>   just saying "it is possible to change".

	[FIXED]

> - "Custom" type... what happens if I select this?  Where do I get the
>   chance to specify what type of connection I *do* have?  Shouldn't
>   there be some page or control in the druid that lets me do this?
>   Also,
>   "Other" is perhaps a slightly more accurate word than "Custom" for a
>   network connection.

	[FIXED]

> Page 4/6:
>
> - "You can also choose to use a Quicknet device"... what's that?  How
>  does a user know they've got one?  How do I choose one if I have it?
>  If
>   I don't have to do anything special, there probably isn't any point
>   in
>   mentioning it, and if I do it should say what I need to do :)

	[DONTFIX]

> - "Some webcam models have an internal microphone that can be used
>   with GnomeMeeting".  So what do I need to do to set up one of
>   those?
>   How is it different from setting up any other sort of microphone?
>   Again, if it's the same, I'm not sure there's any point in
>   mentioning it.
>   Nobody reads that part of the screen anyway :)

	[DONTFIX]

> - Suggest just "Player" and "Recorder" rather than "Audio Player" and
>   "Audio Recorder".  The "Audio" is kind of redundant given the name
>   of the frame.

	[FIXED]

> - Click here to test your audio devices:"... couldn't you just lose
>   this label and write "Test Audio" on the button?

	[FIXED]

> Page 5/6:
>
> - "Test Video" is probably better than "Video Test"; buttons should
>   generally have verbs on them.

	[FIXED]

> - What is that progress indicator-looking thing for?  :)  (I assume
>   it's something to do with the video test...)

	???

> Page 6/6:
>
> - "Done!"  Exclamation marks usually look a bit unprofessional :)
>   "Finished" or "Configuration Complete" might be better...

	[FIXED]

> - "Changes Summary" should perhaps be "Configuration Summary"?  After
>   all, if this is the first time you've set up GnomeMeeting, you
>  haven't really 'changed' anything.

	[FIXED]

> Main Window
> -----------
>
> main_gui.jpg:
>
> - The spacing between the menu items looks unusually wide, have you
>   inserted extra spaces here somehow?

	???

> - The HIG still recommends against vertical toolbars, but I know we've
>   talked about that before :)  Do these toolbar buttons have no labels
>   even if the user switches on labels in the desktop Menus & Toolbars
>   preferences dialog?  It's kind of bad if that's the case, there
>   should probably at least be some option somewhere that allows the
>   user to have labels on the buttons.

	[DONTFIX] !!!

> - Would be nice if the 'callto:' field had a label (with a mnemonic),
>   like the location bar in most browsers, although I appreciate that
>   would eat up some space :/  Failing that, is there a keyboard
>   shortcut (Ctrl+L or something) that will give focus to it?

	[NONE]

> main_gui2.jpg:
>
> - "Send Message:" should probably be left-aligned with the text field,
>   not right-aligned.

	[FIXED]

> - Frame around Text Chat probably not really needed, a label would
>   suffice I think.

	[FIXED]

> main_gui3.jpg:
>
> - Again, the frames on the statistics/audio/video tabs aren't really
>   needed-- the tab itself frames the controls nicely enough, and
>   provides a label without having to repeat it here.

	[FIXED]

> - I hope it's possible to change the colours on the statistics graph,
>   to keep Bill and the accessibility team happy :)

	[NONE]

> main_gui4.jpg:
>
> - Although they look cool, controls that only have graphics for labels
>   could be a bit of an accessibility problem too... admittedly you can
>   provide accessible descriptions for them in the code that a
>   screenreader can pick up, but that doesn't help you if your eyesight
>   is poor but not bad enough to need a screenreader :)  You also can't
>   assign mnemonics to graphical labels.  So I'd suggest adding textual
>   labels to the audio and video settings controls as well if possible.

Don't know to what pic it is related to...so [NONE]
though i guess it's about the video settings in control panel.

Fabrice

--
ALPHONSO Fabrice <fabrice alphonso dyndns org>