Re: Adaptive GNOME Control Center / libhandy

Greetings!

There's a number of MRs to G-C-C to add support for adaptive sizing, in particular using libhandy. I've been tagging the issues with the "Initiative: Mobile apps" [1].

Thanks! Triage is always helpful.

I've been hesitant to review or merge them as I wasn't involved in any discussions about this feature and I can't find any "official" plan from GNOME regarding them [2].

I am not aware of any particular long-term plans beyond "make the apps work on really small screens."

I'm keen to review them as they come in but I just want some confirmation on what the plan is and if there is any limits to what we are supporting. Georges, you seem to have approved these via the first MR [3], do you have any more details to add?

My understanding of the situation is that initial goal of a mobile-friendly Settings was GNOME 3.32, but unfortunately the integration was inconsistent and the overall experience on desktop degraded, so I reverted a few commits and retargeted it to GNOME 3.34.

The biggest offender, by and large, was the Background panel. Fortunately, during this cycle, it was rewritten in a much more mobile-friendly way. It wasn't perfect though, but Sadiq from Purism fixed the remaining bits. Because I was the one who rewrote the Background panel, I took the liberty to review and merge those patches.

The rest of Sadiq patches were and are more or less straightforward adaptations, so I don't think they're problematic. Adrien's MRs are more involving and require an deeper review, and possibly some input from the design team.

Libhandy is becoming somewhat an official part of the GNOME ecossystem now that a few core GNOME modules depend on it, so that's not a concern.

Let me know if you have any questions!