Re: Best practices for using GOA

Hey,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:35:42AM +0200, Bastien Nocera wrote:
The problem here, unless I am mistaken, is that the API for
applications that consumes those accounts makes no difference between
an account disappearing because it was removed, and the object
disappearing from the ObjectManager because the whole daemon went away,
you receive an "object-removed" signal in both cases.

That's right.  The client library is a thin wrapper around
GDBusObjectManagerClient, and GDBusObjectManager::object-removed gets
mapped to GoaClient::account-removed.

With a bit more work on the GOA client library, that difference could
be made, and the account wouldn't be removed by end-user apps in the
case of the goa-daemon going away (just disabled, and data kept), and
the data removed only when the account is actually removed as a user
action.

Yes, I also think we should do this.  It's not clear to me whether an
application (or anything else for that matter) stands to gain anything
from knowing that the daemon went away, and if not, then it's puzzling
why it was done this way in the first place.

(It's one of those things that I wish I had the chance to hash out
with David before he left GNOME.)

Cheers,
Rishi