Re: add ABRT panel

Hello Jakub,

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 13:45 +0100, Jakub Filak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a member of ABRT Project crew [1]. We want to give users comfortable way
> of configuration and the control center looks very comfortable ;). Therefore
> we want to add a panel to gnome control center. Are you opened to adding
> panels like this one?

We have a list of panels that we'd like to see integrated into the
system settings:
https://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings

And Error reporting isn't something that really needs configuration,
though there are plenty of design documents for how problems reporting
should be integrated into the desktop at:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/ProblemReporting
and:
https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Oops

> I was wondering how to develop a new panel for gnome control center and I was
> told that I have to develop a new panel as a part of gnome control center. But
> I'm not very happy with this solution because it introduces a dependency on
> ABRT. Is it possible to develop a panel as a plugin provided by an other
> project?

All system settings panels are provided by gnome-control-center, we
don't allow external ones.

> If it is impossible to develop a panel as a plugin, pleas take a look at the
> attached patch (the patch introduces the ABRT panel).

You'll see from the design page above that a system settings panel isn't
necessary for problem reporting (there might be a related option in the
Privacy panel in the future though).
We would really be interested in people working to achieve the goals set
in the design page for problem reporting.

Cheers