GNOME 3.2: mapping extra mouse buttons

Folks

These days there are many many mice with > 5 buttons (3 + scroll). For
a moment the only solution for them is not very user-friendly imwheel.
Would it make sense to provide mapping for those extra buttons? On
windows, people use them for switching apps, copy/paste, back/forward
etc. Why cannot we provide comfortable GUI for that configuration?
Could it be done within keyboard panel - or do we need extra panel (or
extra tab in the "Mouse" panel)? Should we map "buttons->actions" or
"buttons->keys" (so shortcuts would be picked automatically)?

Sergey

PS My good old Logitech has 12 buttons in total.