Re: Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

On Sunday 24 July 2011 20:27:58 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Sunday 24 July 2011 14:12:21 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > If there is no need for KDE System Settings on a Gnome desktop, then
> > adding a OnlyShowIn=KDE; key to the desktop file would be appropriate.
> > If on the other hand there is a need for KDE System Settings on a Gnome
> > desktop, then Shaun solution is correct IMO and we should start to think
> > about adding support for OnlyShowIn to KCM desktop files, because it
> > makes no sense for example to be able to define Plasma Desktop wallpaper
> > when running on Gnome.
>
> Technically seen systemsettings lives in kde-workspace which means it is
> only relevant to the KDE Plasma Workspaces. Non Workspace applications
> should not depend on its availability and if they require it, I would
> consider this as an application bug. E.g. the mentioned kinfocenter is a
> Workspace app.
>
> Kcmshell on the other hand, which is required to run a single KCM, lives in
> kde-runtime and all KDE applications can rely on it being around. So an
> application having an external KCM can even be configured if systemsettings
> is not around. E.g. fonts can be configured using kcmshell4 fonts
> even without systemsettings.
>
> Given that, I agree with Aurélien that the most appropriate solution is to
> not show our KDE Plasma systemsettings in a non Plasma environment (with
> the exception of Microsoft Windows).
>
> I find this whole discussion rather depressing, especially the fact that it
> ended up on Slashdot&Co. Let's try to take something out of it and try in
> future to discuss such points each other before possible harm is done. This
> of course applies to both KDE and GNOME developers :-)

I btw. agree that a kde application outside of a kde workspace should be self
contained. We could solve that problem btw inside of the kde framework even.
As Martin masterfully proved systemsettings is a workspace application and
should not be be required outside of a full kde workspace (if someone decides
to install it intentionally it should still work so the original problem has
to be solved anyway.)

A application could recognize that it is run outside of an active kde
workspace and add all needed kcms (which should be as less as possible ) to
its settings menu in that case.

But we should really try to respect of the active workspaces settings as
possible therefore making as muss kcms as possible useless in such an
environment.

Mike