Re: Interaction between g-s-d RandR component and VirtualBox Guest Additions

Hello Frederico,

Sorry for the delayed response (due to the holiday season and a major
product release!)

Le mardi 28 décembre 2010 à 20:01 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero a
écrit :
> On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 17:09 +0100, Michael Thayer wrote:
> > Under the hood this is done by a tool running on the guest system which
> > is notified of the change and pokes the guest video driver.  The guest
> > video driver then changes its RandR mode list so that its preferred
> > resolution is the new host window size and the tool switches to that
> > resolution.
> >
> > This works well until the user uses gnome-display-properties to select a
> > resolution.  After this it seems that g-s-d tries to take over
> > responsibility for screen resolutions, and the result is not very
> > pretty.
I have investigated this a bit, as I was mainly going on user reports
before, and it seems I misunderstood the issue slightly.  It turns out
that this only happens immediately after the user logs into X/gdm, and
that on start up, g-s-d is setting the resolution to the last one that
the user set using gnome-display-properties.  Actually some versions of
g-d-p had a tick box to say whether you wanted this behaviour or not,
but it seems to have gone away again.  Since g-s-d is started after our
tool it doesn't see and take into account the monitor hotplug event, and
it also ignores the monitor's preferred resolution.

If I read [http://live.gnome.org/RandR#Storage_of_RANDR_configurations]
and the resources it points to right, one way of getting round this
would be to fake EDID data with, say, a random changing serial number.

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineer

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande