Re: [gdm-list] gdm doesn't kill its own session clearly, causes two gnome-settings-daemon run on one DISPLAY

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 1:47 AM, fykcee1 gmail com <fykcee1 gmail com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> 2011/2/18 Ray Strode <halfline gmail com>
>>
>> Sometime around 2.30 gdm was changed to only kill gnome-session and
>> none of the stuff gnome-session starts (This was to prevent ordering
>> problems on solaris).  It now depends on gnome-session to clean up
>> after itself.  My guess is either
>>
>> 1) gnome-settings-daemon isn't properly registering with the session
>> so isn't getting killed on exit
>> 2) gnome-settings-daemon is ignoring SIGTERM (should be verifable by
>> trying to kill it after login)
>> 3) gnome-session has some bug where it's not properly sending SIGTERM
>> to gnome-settings-daemon
>
> IMHO, just before user login, gdm should not only kill its gnome-session,
> but also wait for gnome-session exit
It does.

> (and gnome-session should wait for exit of stuff it starts).
It's supposed to, as well.  It could be though that it only tries to
kill things that register with it, in which case we may be hitting 1)
above.  Or it could be gnome-session is crashing in its exit path, or
something along those lines.

Can you attach to gdm's gnome-session with gdb or strace and see if it
exits or dies from a signal ?

--Ray