Re: Hello and question about gnome-control-center : gnome-display-properties

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 20:21 +0000, Quentin Bérard wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new here.
> I'm french, and I'm student in University in France, in informatic.
> I'm apologize for all of the mistake I write.
>
> I would like to see a new fonctionnality in
> gnome-display-properties :
> Possibility to scale the screen
> With the same effect as the command xrandr --output VGA1 --scale
> 1.2x1.2
> (you can try with your own desktop protocol here instead of VGA1).
> An other option is also possible with panning (try xrandr --output
> VGA1 --scale 1920x1080).
>
> I would like give some more resolution (with scalling/panning) to the
> end user in the list of the resolution.
> Perhaps, with a chekbox ("active extra-resolutions", or something more
> clear).

You want something similar to xrandr's --scale option. The first thing
to note is that it's a RandR 1.3 feature, so we'd need to add detection
for that version.

Other than that, I don't see what this would actually be useful for.
Before going into technical details, we should surely see what it would
be useful for, and what the use cases might be.

Cheers