GPLv2 only?

I noticed that the source code to GNOME Control Center is licensed under
the GPL version two. Could an "or later" clause be included?

This would be useful to me. I ported some code from GNOME Control Center
to Python and had to relicense my project under GPLv2 because GPLv2
isn't compatible with GPLv3. I would prefer for my project to be
licensed under GPLv2 or later, and I need your permission to do that.

On that note, the COPYING file included in the source branch has a
section entitled "How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs", which
is confusing. Why not follow the advice in that section and remove it
from COPYING?

Thanks.