Re: Enabling About Me by default

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 08:50 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if it's time to enable the "About Me" capplet by default?
> > It works fairly reliably and I think most distributions ship it. Does
> > anyone know of a good reason that it should be disabled by default?
>
> It's funny because while working on the branch I was thinking exactly
> the opposite.  That tool is sort of in the very strange middle ground
> of an addressbook record and a user account tool.  I don't think it
> works very well.  Maybe it does ok on more fixed function devices but
> it seems to fail on the desktop.
>
> I think for setting up user accounts (even your own) the new accounts
> tool is much better.  And for the other case, I think we need an
> addressbook app in GNOME.  We talked about this at GNOME Summit this
> year with the Telepathy team a bit.  I'd really like to have someplace
> that has all my contacts in it, regardless of protocol.  Buddies,
> emails, gmail, facebook friends, the works.  Ideally all the various
> contacts for a person would be aggregated together.  This probably
> requires plugins of some kind I think.  Anyway.  I think we need to
> sit down and design what this should look like and get someone to
> write it.  I'd really like this in GNOME 3 - but it is getting tight.

I was gradually coming to the same conclusion as you, but doesn't
Evolution provide the address book functionality that about-me or a
separate contact application would provide?

If you think we needed a separate address book application, there is
always Contacts that could be picked up and to run with...

Regards,

Thomas