Categorisation in Control-Centre 3.0

Hi there,

As may be becoming obvious we’re interested in improving Control Centre at Intel both to make it better for GNOME and so we can use the shell to manage settings in a future version of Moblin. As such I’ve been looking at the caplets and potential categorisation. We plan to do some more usability work on this sort in the new year so it’s in no way fixed.

This also includes all of the settings on the device. We’re interested in managing all the user’s settings within a single interface. We believe that two categories are useful, Your settings and Device settings with a third, application settings available but not necessarily shown by default.

Your settings

----------------

Accessibility

Fonts

Language

Preferred Apps

Security/passwords

Sharing (file, upnp etc.)

Update system

Wallpaper

Your contact details

Device/Hardware settings

-------------------------------

Bluetooth

Date & Time

Displays and projectors

External devices

Keyboard

Location and GPS

Network

Power

Printing

Sound

Trackpad and Mouse

This category would also contain the settings from:

Default Printer - merge with printing

Network Proxy - merge into network

Keyboard shortcuts - merge with keyboard

My Web Accounts

----------------------

Only available if we don't aggregate these into one magic setting within Your settings category. (i.e. the existence of this category is a fallback). Note: these functions are quite Moblin specific.

Calendar

Email

IM

Photos

Status updates

Sync

Application settings

We’d like to expose an entry point to settings and preferences for every app on the device, although this would be deprioritised within the interface to avoid potential settings flood.

This sort and should work surprisingly well in the unified design that Thomas Wood and I have been playing around with. I’d certainly be interested in seeing people’s views on this. I’d certainly hope that we’re working in the spirit of stuff like this http://live.gnome.org/SystemSettings

Nick