Re: G-S-D support wireless/touchpad switch

On 26.11.2008 10:37, Lin Ma wrote:
These OSDs should look like:
When users first press the key, then focus on Cancel
button, double press will change the focus and then
switch the devices.

My spontaneous response is we shouldn't add controls to
the OSD window. That's somewhat akin to the annoying
"do you really want to do that" dialogs.

I know, but there is a few difference. OSD only shows
the next state of device. It will affect the device
once users release the hotkey.

However, I'm
certainly no usability expert. If there is evidence to
the contrary I can be swayed. Initial reaction, though,
is "bad". (I can see the point that killing wireless
accidently might not be such a great thing, I just
don't much like the solution.)

Actually, I have the same point which force me to
accept OSD window. Anyway it's just my very rough
thought, I still need comments here.

One alternative way to do it might be to show a
"do you want to kill wireless?" popup, and only if the
hotkey is pressed a second time while the window is
visible actually kill it.

I think that's at least better than adding controls.
The question is whether it's feasible to do it that
way without adding text to the OSD, though.

Jens