Re: system wide proxy settings

Hi Michael.

On 30.07.2008 08:08, Michael Vogt wrote:
I would like to add support to gnome-network-preferences to be able to
set the proxy systemwide (for e.g. legacy applications).

In order to do that, I plan to have a python dbus backend on the
systembus that uses policykit for the authorization. If the user
selects in the UI that he wants to make make the setting a system
default,

And you'd label this button "Unbreak legacy apps"? Adding UI for
this seems like a very bad idea to me. If you can fix legacy apps,
do it, but don't push the question into the user's face.

the proxy settings would be passed to this dbus service and
writes /etc/environment (and /etc/apt/apt.conf on ubuntu/debian
systems).

Is this something that could get accepted upstream (assuming the
implementation is ok)?

We have gnome-settings-daemon for handling settings. It sounds
to me like you'd want to write a (distro-specific) g-s-d module
that handles this, and since g-s-d is quite modular these days
it doesn't even have to go upstream (unless you can provide
reasons for why it should, of course, but I didn't see any in
your mail).

Jens