Re: RandR branches

Hi. First post, hope this is not on the wrong list or wrong place for
comments.

tis 2008-06-17 klockan 22:07 +0200 skrev Soeren Sandmann:
> Federico Mena Quintero <federico novell com> writes:
> > - We catch the key.  The code probes the monitors. [...]
> > Then it can ask the user
> > what to do (clone?  make the display bigger?  etc.)

> What it *should* do when it hasn't seen the configuration before, is
> cycle between "laptop only", "external only", "both".
>
> I would like if most people never have to see the configuration
> capplet at all.

I partly agree - but with proper support for OpenOffice using two
screens for presentations (one for the presentation and the other with
my notes+preview of next slide), I'd really like to be asked if I want:

 - cloned output, this is what I use during planning meetings
 - two screens setup, this is what I use during presentations

"both" in your example above would not be enough. The way this works on
Windows is nice, though the switching never works as expected. :)

I'd prefer being presented with "These are the possible setups, please
choose what you want:" and a list of setups with easy to understand one
line sentences. This would also make the entire thing "less" magical and
more understandable/comprehendable for users like my grandpa (who
occasionally tries to hook his computer up to the TV to show vacation
images and movies). He is impatient and hits the key (Fn+F*) to fast not
letting (windows) settle in. If he'd got a question "Choose a setup"
he'd give it more time and not be as impatient as he'd known that the
"right" setup is about to kick in.

My two cents.

/ Fredrik Wendt