Re: merging keyboard & keyboard shortcuts

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 11:07 +1000, Jared Moore wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Matthias Clasen
> <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> >
> >  Just because they both have keyboard in their name, is not a very good
> >  reason to cram the shortcuts into the keyboard capplet.
>
> No. A good reason is that the keyboard shortcuts capplet is the only
> keyboard-related preferences that is _not_ in the keyboard capplets,
> which is inconsistent.
>
> I would also argue that keyboard shortcuts have much more to do with
> the keyboard than typing break does, since "typing break" is really
> more like "take a break from your entire computer", not just typing.
> So I don't see why typing break should be in the main keyboard
> preferences while keyboard shortcuts isn't. (Not that I'm advocating
> splitting out the typing break tab).

there have been discussions about the typing break being moved to its
own capplet/app

> As for 'cramming' - to me the Preferences menu seems much more crammed
> than the keyboard capplet (~23 items vs. 5 tabs). I would say that
> removing an entire item from the preferences menu with the only cost
> being 1 extra tab in the keyboard capplet is an overall decrease in
> clutter. :)

well, I agree on what you said, but it seems, once we add mouse gestures
also, the shortcuts thing won't make much sense in the keyboard capplet
really

--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>